It’s not easy going to a university far from home. You have to leave your family and friends and start a new life with a bunch of strangers. It’s hard when you don’t have anyone to drag out for a beer after a difficult test or a person you can go to when you have a problem. But don’t worry, you’ll make new friends soon. At first it may seem almost impossible to meet people as awesome as your childhood besties. But if you put yourself out there, you’ll find you can make friends for life. The problem is, how do you go about making friends on campus? Well, here are some quick tips to help you out. Join a society Every university campus has a large selection of societies looking for new members. All you need to do is find one (or five) that speaks to your interests. From campus newspapers to amateur acting groups, you’ll find something to get excited about. Just make sure you choose a society you’re really willing to get involved in. You may think joining a parkour club sounds like a good idea, but realise later that jumping over jungle gyms is a little too advanced for you. If you want to make friends, you can’t just pitch up at the odd meeting, you have to be committed. Start a study group Okay, so this may seem a little nerdy, but you’re all there to learn so why not use it as a way to meet new people. If your class is large, ask the lecturer or teaching assistant to let you make an announcement at the end of the lecture. If you have smaller pracs or tutorials, ask a few people if they’re interested and see what the response is. Starting a study group will help you get to know people and improve your marks at the same time. Break a sweat If you’re the sporty type then joining a campus team will be the easiest way for you to make friends. It doesn’t need to be the official university team, it can just be a bunch of people playing soccer on a Saturday afternoon. You’ll find it’s easy to bond with people when you’re already part of the same team. Of course, if you’re not a team player but still like to keep active, try joining a gym. It may be a bit harder to get to know people but you can still get to know the regulars and make friends. Getting to know people and starting new relationships is difficult. But once you start putting yourself out there, it becomes a lot easier. Some of the friends you make at varsity are the ones who will stick with you for the rest of your life. Plus, it always helps to have people to invite to your birthday parties.   Image: Pexels

Comments

comments